Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Finally when & where!!!

Approximately 6 days after my call letter was sent it arrived in Manti, Utah, with 1 little problem.....I was in Mesa, AZ!!! Not good! My wonderful neighbor checked our mail for us that day, because I didn't feel comfortable keeping it in the mailbox all weekend! She also came up with this brilliant idea to have it faxed to the hotel we were staying at! My mom of course was all about having her fax it! The great thing about this day was that my mom was going absolutely crazy!! She couldn't handle it & it was so so fun to tease! I knew as soon as faxing it was suggested I would have Jeri (the wonderful neighbor) fax it!! But torturing my mom for a good 5 hours was so great so I kept telling her I was going to be the 1st to open in the envelope, so faxing it was not going to happen! Once we arrived at our hotel, I quickly got ready & called Jeri and told her to fax it but keep it a secret because I wanted to surprise my family! Well I didn't give it enough time because after I told her to do it, my mom was like we are leaving for the viewing!!! NO!!! I had gotten in the car & we were pulling away from the hotel, I get a text, I did it!!! So there my mission call sits at the hotel while I am across town!! & then I realize that my sister was not going to be coming back to the hotel with us that night!! NO!! I finally decided to ruin the surprise and tell my mom that it was at the hotel. After much deliberation we decided to just go meet my sister where she was staying!




This is the parking lot, right under that light, that I open my faxed copy of my mission call!! With my ENTIRE FAMILY!! Late at night as this gangsta, low rider, drives by!!!


I opened up the paper and quickly glanced & saw where I was going, then I began to read aloud:


Dear Sister Miller:


You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the


Washington Kennewick Mission.


You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on


Wednesday, January 6, 2010.


At the bottom of this letter it read Sincerely, Thomas S Monson The prophet touched this paper & signed it, well not this paper exactly, but you get the idea!! I had a good friend tell me, once you open it pay close attention to what it feels like!! So after all of the excitement of me announcing it & I was walking back to the car I remembered that I was supposed to pay attention to the feeling, but no worries it was still there!! It is the feeling like yep this is right, that is exactly where I am supposed to go, burning in my heart with the feeling of peace!!! Even though it is only 11 hours from Manti & 9 from Salt Lake, it is where the Lord knows I will do the best & where he wants me to be!!! So I couldn't be more excited & I can't wait to go!!!


Now if you were like me at all, I had NO idea where Kennewick was. It is the southeastern part of Washington & my mission includes some of Oregon.



Here is where I will spend the next 18 months of my life!

& some random facts about the wonderful Kennewick!!

*Population:65,680

*It is part of the tri-cities, which include Pasco and Richland.

*The name "Kennewick" is believed to be a native word meaning "grassy place." It has also been called "winter paradise," mostly because of the mild winters in the area. In the past, Kennewick has also been known by other names. Arguably the strangest was "Tehe" which was allegedly attributed to the reaction from a native girl's laughter when asked the name of the region.

*Every year during the summer, hydroplane racing takes place at the Water Follies event on the Columbia River.

*They have been aspiring to be the slurpee capitol of the world!!!

I can't wait to serve the fine, outstanding people Washington/Oregon!!! I leave in approx 85 days!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! I am so excited for you Sister Miller!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats caitlin! i'm so glad i was with jessica wright when you called and was able to hear it over the phone! i'm so excited for you and i know you will be an amazing missionary!

    ReplyDelete